Manchester bombing survivor invited to royal wedding

A survivor of the suicide attack at a pop concert in Manchester last year has received an invitation to the royal wedding.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will tie the knot at Windsor Castle on May 19.

Salman Abedi, a 22-year-old Briton born to Libyan parents, blew himself up at the end of a show by US singer Ariana Grande at the Manchester Arena last May, killing 22. His victims included seven children.

Twelve-year-old Amelia Thompson said she was ''speechless'' when she found out she had been invited by the royals. She said she initially thought someone was ''messing'' with her but soon realised it is a genuine invite.

Her mother, Lisa Newton, said Amelia has had a "rough couple of years".

''Since Manchester it has been really hard. We have still got contact with a lot of the families and I think that is something special about it. So we have got a lot of new friends that feel like family to us, which is really nice.''

She added that she will not be accompanying Amelia to the wedding, and instead has chosen to give her invite to a woman whose granddaughter was killed in the bombing.

"It was something Amelia wanted to do, it feels right and it is going to make another family happy.''

CBS / Newshub.