In yet another tragic loss for Kate Spade's family, her father Earl F Brosnahan has died just hours before the fashion designer's funeral.
A statement from the family said that 89-year-old Brosnahan "had been in failing health of late".
"He was heartbroken over the recent death of his beloved daughter," the statement continued.
"He was at home and surrounded by family at the time of his passing."
Kate Spade was found dead in her New York apartment earlier this month.
- David Spade donates thousands following Kate Spade's death
- Fashion designer Kate Spade found dead in New York
Her death was ruled a suicide, and she had been battling depression and anxiety, according to her husband.
The fashion icon's funeral was held on June 21, and was attended by family and friends, including her brother-in-law, actor David Spade.
The Joe Dirt star donated US$10,000 to an American mental health organisation following his sister-in-law's death.
"More people suffer from mental health issues than we may realise, but no one should ever feel ashamed to reach out for support," he said.
Where to find help and support:
- Need to Talk? - Call or text 1737
- Lifeline - 0800 543 354 or (09) 5222 999 within Auckland
- Youthline - 0800 376 633, text 234, email email@example.com or online chat
- Samaritans - 0800 726 666
- Depression Helpline - 0800 111 757
- Suicide Crisis Helpline - 0508 828 865 (0508 TAUTOKO)