Star Wars: The Phantom Menace actor Ahmed Best has suggested the backlash from his infamous portrayal of Jar Jar Binks almost drove him to suicide.
Best took to Twitter to post a picture with his son and reflect on the difficulty he faced following the release of the film, which will celebrate its 20th anniversary in 2019.
"20 years next year I faced a media backlash that still affects my career today," he captioned the photo, taken on a bridge.
"This was the place I almost ended my life. It's still hard to talk about."
Referring to his son, he continued, "I survived and now this little guy is my gift for survival."
- Ahmed Best: 'Michael Jackson wanted to play Jar Jar Binks in Star Wars prequels'
- 'It doesn't suck' - Solo: A Star Wars Story review
Earlier this week, Best asked his 10,000 Twitter followers if they would be interested in seeing him appear in a solo tour to discuss The Phantom Menace, 20 years on from Jar Jar Binks' debut.
He received a positive response from his followers, with some inviting him to appear on podcasts or offering to promote the tour on his behalf.
About his latest admission of suicidal thoughts, he asked, "Would this be a good story for my solo show? Lemme know."
Last year, Best spoke to Wired about the harsh response his performance of the clumsy alien outcast received from fans.
"I had death threats through the internet," he said.
"I had people come to me and say, 'You destroyed my childhood'. That's difficult for a 25-year-old to hear."
Best revealed he felt as though his career ended before it had started. At the time, he said that director George Lucas had reassured him characters like Chewbacca and Lando Calrissian had also been received badly by audiences at first.
Where to find help and support:
- Need to Talk? - Call or text 1737
- Lifeline - 0800 543 354 or (09) 5222 999 within Auckland
- Youthline - 0800 376 633, text 234, email email@example.com or online chat
- Samaritans - 0800 726 666
- Depression Helpline - 0800 111 757
- Suicide Crisis Helpline - 0508 828 865 (0508 TAUTOKO)