The AM Show abruptly goes off-air in burger segment gone wrong

It got a little too heated during The AM Show on Wednesday as a segment on burgers forced the evacuation of Mediaworks' Auckland headquarters.

The segment was supposed to show viewers tips on making the perfect burger, but instead forced the abrupt cancellation of the episode as hosts and crew were forced to exit the building. 

It's believed a vegetarian burger being cooked near the set got too smoky and triggered a fire alarm.

As the burger burned, host Duncan Garner was forced to end the show 10 minutes early while alarms screamed in the background.

"Needless to say we really turned up the heat on The AM Show this morning with Michael Dearth teaching us how to cook the ultimate burger," Garner said.

"As it turns out, cooking on a gas stove in the basement will set off the smoke alarm. Thank you to the fire department for your prompt service and sincere apologies from the team at The AM Show."  

Multiple fire trucks and firefighters were sent to the Mediaworks building around 8.50am, before everything was resolved within 20 minutes.

Mediaworks staff were confused over the evacuation as multiple fire trucks arrived on the scene.
Mediaworks staff were confused over the evacuation as multiple fire trucks arrived on the scene. Photo credit: Supplied.

Sportsreader Mark Richardson blamed all the commotion on the fact the burger was vegetarian.

"If it was a proper burger it wouldn't have emitted that much smoke," he said. 

The evacuation left some viewers confused as the show suddenly went off-air. 

Rest assured, Mediaworks staff are safe and sound.

Newshub.

Contact Newshub with your story tips:
news@newshub.co.nz