The remake of 1998 classic Resident Evil 2 is the highest rated video game of the first half of 2019, according to Metacritic.
The review aggregator website has released a list of the 20 best games of the year so far, as the start of July marks its halfway point.
- How Microsoft hopes Project Scarlett will avoid mistakes of the Xbox One
- PlayStation 5: Sony confirms first specs of next-gen 'game-changer'
Many of the games are lesser known, indie titles, despite the top spot being taken by such a behemoth franchise.
Resident Evil 2 has a Metascore of 91, based on the rankings of 84 critics - among them the Telegraph's Tom Hoggins, who awarded the game five stars and labelled it "survival horror perfection".
Metacritic's top 20 games for the first half of 2019 are as follows:
- Resident Evil 2 (91)
- Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (90)
- Super Mario Maker 2 (89)
- Slay the Spire (89)
- Apex Legends (89)
- Devil May Cry 5 (87)
- Sunless Skies (86)
- Steins;Gate Elite (86)
- MLB The Show 19 (86)
- Cadence of Hyrule: Crypt of the NecroDancer Featuring The Legend of Zelda (86)
- AMID EVIL (86)
- Total War: Three Kingdoms (85)
- Outer Wilds (85)
- Devotion (85)
- Blaster Master Zero II (85)
- Wargroove (84)
- Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr.'s Journey (84)
- Irony Curtain: From Matryoshka with Love (84)
- DiRT Rally 2.0 (84)
- Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled (84)
In the second half of 2019, gamers have several big titles to look forward to, including the new Pokemon, Call of Duty, Star Wars, Borderlands, Gears of War, Madden, Monster Hunter, Ghost Recon, Shenmue, Doom, FIFA, Legend of Zelda and NBA 2K.