Prince Harry files legal action against newspapers over alleged phone hacking

Prince Harry is set to sue the publishers of The Sun over allegations of phone hacking, his office and the newspaper's publisher said on Friday.

"Claims have been filed on behalf of The Duke of Sussex at the High Court regarding the illegal interception of voicemail messages," a spokesperson for Harry said, declining to give further details of the claim.

A spokesperson for News Group Newspapers, publisher of The Sun, confirmed that a claim had been issued by Harry.

Harry has also filed papers against two other papers, the now-closed News of the World and the Daily Mirror, the BBC reports.

It's not known when Harry alleges his phone was hacked, but BBC royal correspondent Jonny Dymond suggests the move goes back to the phone-hacking scandal of the early 2000s.

Employees of News International, the News Corporation subsidiary that owned the News of the World, were found to have hacked celebrities phones between 2005 to 2007.

It was revealed in 2011 reporters had also hacked the phone of murdered schoolgirl Milly Dowler, relatives of deceased British soldiers and victims of the July 7 London bombings. 

The resulting public outcry led to several high-profile resignations and the closure of News of the World.

It's the second time the royals have launched legal action against the media in the last week, after Harry's wife Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, announced legal action against the Mail on Sunday on Wednesday.

Reuters/Newshub