The Canadian Government won't provide security to Prince Harry and Meghan Markle when the royal renegades spurn tradition by stepping out on their own and move to the North American nation.
The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) force has been providing security to the rebellious couple since November last year when the pair visited Canada, a Commonwealth nation, for a six-week holiday.
In January, when Harry and Meghan returned from their Canadian Christmas break, they announced their desire to step back from the royal family and become financially independent. Part of the eventual deal struck with Queen Elizabeth is that the pair could split their time between North America and the United Kingdom.
They've spent much of their time in Canada ever since, including looking at multi-million dollar mansions on Vancouver Island.
The Canadian Government has announced that when the couple transitions from their current status, set to happen on March 31, taxpayers will no longer foot the bill for security.
"The Duke and Duchess of Sussex choosing to relocate to Canada on a part-time basis presented our government with a unique and unprecedented set of circumstances. The RCMP has been engaged with officials in the UK from the very beginning regarding security considerations," a Government spokesperson said.
"As the Duke and Duchess are currently recognized as Internationally Protected Persons, Canada has an obligation to provide security assistance on an as-needed basis. At the request of the Metropolitan Police, the RCMP has been providing assistance to the Met since the arrival of the Duke and Duchess to Canada intermittently since November 2019.
"The assistance will cease in the coming weeks, in keeping with their change in status."
But a statement on the Duke and Duchess of Sussex's website makes it clear they will "require effective security to protect them and their son". No further details are provided for safety reasons.
Paying for the Duke and Duchess' security was deeply unpopular in Canada, with several polls showing the vast majority of Canadians thought it was an inappropriate use of tax money. The Canadian Taxpayers Federation delivered a petition to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau with 80,000 signatures on it - calling for the pair to not receive money.
British tabloids have recently reported that the UK Metropolitan Police is struggling to meet the pair's demand for double the amount of security that they have now. That could cost a staggering $40 million a year, according to the Express.
Former protection officer Dai Davies said their current plans are "unworkable."
"There is already a severe lack of trained officers and this is only adding to the Met's woes."