New Zealanders doing the right thing by staying at home during the COVID-19 alert level 4 lockdown now have access to more free streaming film and television than ever.
Amazon Prime Video has made a bunch of kids movies and TV shows free for anyone to stream at home, while adults can take advantage of Acorn TV's extended free trial offer, which has gone from seven days to 30.
If you haven't used them before, you can also get free trials from the likes of Netflix, Neon, Lightbox and Disney Plus.
Acorn TV specialises in the types of British dramas normally popular with the parents of Millenials, but has a few Aussie shows as well and is definitely worth checking out for free.
"For those looking for an escape while holed up at home, Acorn TV will immediately begin offering an extended 30-day free trial for new subscribers (previously a 7-day trial)," the service says in a statement.
"Interested Kiwis can enter the code ACORNTVNZ30 for access to the best of the best of quality British and international programming."
There's endless free children's content on YouTube, of course, but that comes with a lot of unwanted risks, making Amazon Prime Video's free offer all the more attractive.
Self-isolating New Zealanders wanting to stream the likes of Dangerous Book for Boys, Pete the Cat and If You Give A Mouse A Cookie can do so via the Prime Video app.
All you need to do is set up a free Amazon account online.
Free Amazon movies and TV for kids during NZ lockdown:
- Click, Clack, Moo: Christmas at the Farm
- Bug Diaries
- Costume Quest
- Creative Galaxy
- Danger and Eggs
- Dangerous Book for Boys
- Gortimer Gibbons Life on Normal Street
- If You Give A Mouse A Cookie
- Jessy and Nessy
- Just Add Magic
- Just Add Magic: Mystery City
- Little Big Awesome
- Lost in Oz
- Niko and the Sword of Light
- Pete the Cat
- Sigmund and the Sea Monster
- The Snowy Day
- The Stinky and Dirty Show
- The Kicks
- Tumble Leaf
Amazon hints there could be more free content on the way, too, saying "we continue to explore opportunities to make a wider selection of content available for customers".
More free streaming options for the coronavirus lockdown:
- Acorn TV: 30 day free trial for Kiwis using code ACORNTVNZ30
- Amazon Prime Video: 30 day free trial for new signups for the full catalogue
- AnimeLab: Has an always free option with ads, as well as a paid premium option
- Apple TV Plus: 7 day free trial for new signups
- Disney Plus: 7 day free trial for new signups
- DocPlay: 30 day free trial for new signups
- Freeview On Demand: Three, TVNZ and Māori TV content all free all the time
- iwonder: 30 day free trial for new signups
- Lightbox: One month free trial for new signups
- Neon: 14 day free trial for new signups
- Netflix: 30 day free trial for new signups
The free streaming content above will easily take longer than four weeks to get through. And while we're all self-isolating at home, it pays to have as much binge-worthy content available as possible.