The Lizzie McGuire reboot may not be what dreams are made of under the direction of Disney Plus.
Hilary Duff has spoken out about the Lizzie McGuire reboot, saying the show can not be "real and relatable" whilst living under the "ceiling of a PG rating".
The Lizzie McGuire revival is currently on hold and Duff has since pleaded with Disney to move the show to Hulu.
"Was incredibly excited to launch Lizzie on D+ and my passion remains! However, I feel a huge responsibility to honor the fans' relationship with LIZZIE who, like me, grew up seeing themselves in her," Duff wrote on an Instagram post on Friday.
"I'd be doing a disservice to everyone by limiting the realities of a 30-year-old's journey to live under the ceiling of a PG rating.
"It's important to me that just as her experiences as a preteen/teenager navigating life were authentic, her next chapters are equally as real and relatable. It would be a dream if Disney would let us move the show to Hulu, if they were interested, and I could bring this beloved character to life again."
Earlier in January 2020, the revival of the iconic television show was reported to be different from what fans would expect with an older McGuire.
However, complications arose when the show's original creator Terri Minsky was allegedly fired.
Minsky has since spoken about her struggle with Disney.
She said she and Duff wanted to show a mature, grown-up version of the character, while Disney aimed to keep the show "family-friendly".
"Hilary has a grasp of Lizzie McGuire at 30 that needs to be seen. It's a wonderful thing to watch," Minksy said.
"I would love the show to exist, but ideally I would love it if it could be given that treatment of going to Hulu and doing the show that we were doing. That's the part where I am completely in the dark. It's important to me that this show was important to people. I felt like I wanted to do a show that was worthy of that kind of devotion."
Although Duff refused to comment, she did post a not-so-subtle message in one of her Instagram posts.
The post shows a picture of a television show pulled from Disney Plus as it's not "family-friendly".
Duff wrote on the screenshot "sounds familiar".
Disney has since issued a statement on Lizzie McGuire.
"We paused production on Lizzie McGuire a few weeks ago to allow time for some creative re-development," it said.
"Our goal is to resume production and to tell an authentic story that connects to the millions who are emotionally invested in the character, and a new generation of viewers too."
Despite Disney's aim to tell an "authentic story", fans of the original show want to see Minsky and Duff's vision of a relatable adult McGuire - not a family-friendly McGuire for kids and families.
"So Hilary wanted a more adult Lizzie McGuire reboot, while Disney wanted a kids' show like the original. Fans of the show are all adults now so it makes sense to go in a more mature direction like Hilary wanted. Disney are so s**t," posted a Twitter user.
"So lemme get this straight. Love, Victor and now the Lizzie McGuire reboot were both deemed too family un-friendly for Disney +. The same service that hosts The Simpsons, The Mandalorian, 10 Things I Hate About You and plenty more PG-13 content.... K," said another.
"Disney wanting the Lizzie McGuire reboot to be family-friendly makes no sense.
Kids don't know and don't care who she is and don't want a show about an adult woman," a third remarked.
"Inversely, the now adults who do want a reboot want a real reflection of life as an adult and not a kid version."