Queen Elizabeth took "all of two seconds" to shut down Prince Harry's request to have a wreath laid on his behalf at a remembrance ceremony, a new report says.
Back in November, it was reported that Prince Harry had asked Buckingham Palace to have a wreath laid on his behalf at The Cenotaph war memorial in London on Remembrance Sunday. The day commemorates British and Commonwealth servicepeople.
The son of Prince Charles wasn't present at the ceremony attended by other royals having left senior duties last year for independence with his wife Meghan Markle in North America. After announcing their controversial departure last January, relations within the family have been strained.
At the time, it was reported that the palace turned down Prince Harry's request and that the Queen was not told of what he wanted. But a new report from The Daily Mail on Saturday claims that it was the Queen herself that shut her grandson down and it took her "all of two seconds" to make that decision.
"People were suggesting the Palace's reaction to what Harry asked was petty. But it was the Queen's decision. And what's more, she actually had very strong views on the subject," The Daily Mail's source says.
It's said that Remembrance Sunday is "sacrosanct" in the Queen's diary and nothing is done without her knowledge.
Another source told the outlet that while the Queen admires Prince Harry's achievements in and out of the military, the Prince's request was seen "as an example of his lack of understanding at what it means for him to be a non-working royal".
"The Queen is very firmly of the opinion that you can't pick and choose what you do when it comes to the institution. Either you are in - or you are out."
Prince Harry was reportedly upset with the refusal and he and Meghan instead laid a wreath at the Los Angeles National Cemetery instead. That move drew some criticism, with commentators calling it a PR stunt.
A new website from the pair promoting "compassion from action" shows an image of Prince Harry and his mother, which some have seen as a slight towards his father who has consistently called for a slimming down of the monarchy. The online site also includes only a picture of Meghan and her mother.
Television host Piers Morgan on Friday said that "Ginge & Cringe's compassion and humanity doesn't extend to either of their fathers, both of whom have been airbrushed out of this nauseating bilge".
"I think they're a pair of vapid little wastrels exploiting their royal titles for vast commercial gain whilst doing none of the duty that being a member of the Royal Family entails. It's shameless, shameful & the Queen should stop them doing it by removing the titles."
Since leaving their royal duties, the pair have spoken at several events and signed up to produce entertainment for Netflix and Spotify.