Incest allegations against pop singer Ricky Martin dropped

Ricky Martin has had the incest claims against him dropped. Photo credit: Getty Images

Incest allegations against pop singer Ricky Martin have been dropped.

If convicted on the charges, Martin would have faced up to 50 years in prison.

On Friday July 16, it was revealed the singer had been accused of committing domestic violence against his 21-year-old nephew, who he was allegedly in an incestual relationship with.

A complaint against the 50-year-old pop star was made anonymously under the Domestic Abuse Prevention Act, which prompted Martin's brother to come forward and say the complaint was for the artist's nephew Dennis Yadiel Sanchez, Marca reported.

In a video obtained by TMZ, Martin discussed the accusations, saying they were "painful" and "devastating" and that he was turning his focus toward "healing".

On Thursday (local time), a restraining order against Martin was dismissed by a judge in a court in Puerto Rico, leading to the star’s accuser asking to have the whole case thrown out.

"I'm in front of the cameras today because I really need to talk in order for me to start my healing process," Martin said in the video. "For two weeks, I was not allowed to defend myself because I was following a procedure where the law obligated me not to talk until I was in front of a judge."

He continued: "Thank God [these] claims were proven to be false, but I'm going to tell you the truth. It has been so painful. It has been devastating for me, for my family, for my friends. I don't wish this upon anybody."

"To the person that was claiming this nonsense, I wish him the best. And I wish he finds the help so he can start a new life filled with love and truth and joy and he doesn't hurt anybody else," Martin said in the video. 

"Now, my priority is to heal. And how do I heal? With music. I cannot wait to be back on stage. I cannot wait to be back in front of the cameras, and entertain, which is what I do best."

"Thank you to all of my friends. Thank you to all the fans who always believed in me. You have no idea the strength that you gave me with every comment you wrote on social media. I wish you love and light and here we come, with the same strength and passion. God bless you all," Martin concluded.   

Contact Newshub with your story tips:
news@newshub.co.nz