Christchurch residents are being warned of the risk of contracting measles after an 11-year-old boy contracted the virus.
Canterbury Medical Officer of Health Dr Alistair Humphrey says there is a potential risk that people who came in contact with the boy could contract the virus.
Investigations have shown the boy attended two days of school, a service at Our Lady of Victories Church at 6pm February 3 and was at Nando's Restaurant in Sydenham between 5pm and 7pm on Waitangi Day and was at Margaret Mahy Playground between 5pm and 10pm for a short period of time.
"Anyone who was at that church service or at the Margaret Mahy Playground or Nando's in Sydenham after 5pm on Waitangi Day is potentially at risk.
"If you fall into that category and feel unwell, our advice is for you to stay at home and call your GP for medical advice. Staying at home is important as you may be contagious."
The boy is believed to have contracted the virus after coming in contact with a 30-year-old man who got measles overseas. The man is has now recovered from the virus.
Dr Humphrey says there is no risk to anyone who has been to the church for another service or at the playground outside of those hours.
The early symptoms of measles include fever, cough, runny nose, sore red eyes and white spots inside the mouth. After three to five days a rash may appear.
It is the first case of measles in Canterbury since May last year and officials are working to contain any potential spread of the virus.
Dr Humphrey says the re-emergence of the virus is a timely reminder to everyone to ensure they are full immunised.