'It could've cost me my life': Woman hospitalised after eating chocolate

A woman has responded to trolls who ridiculed her after she spent Easter Sunday in hospital when she consumed "dairy fine" branded chocolate - despite being allergic to dairy.

Australian woman Kaley Drummond went into anaphylactic shock after eating the chocolate. She is strongly allergic to both dairy and nuts, 7 News reports.

The chocolate was purchased from Australian supermarket giant Aldi. She misread the words on the packaging as "dairy free" rather than "dairy fine", due to the curly font.

She was then subject to "hateful and nasty comments" as many condemned her for not taking her allergies seriously.

"The people who know me personally know how careful I am with my allergies," she told 7 News.

"I find it very interesting that people are attacking someone who made an honest and easy mistake that could've cost me or someone else their life.

"But I'm also glad it was me who copped the backlash because I'm strong enough to brush it off.

"I want it to be clear that I'm not blaming Aldi for my mistake, but I do believe the packaging was easily mistaken.

Allergy and Anaphylaxis Australia chief executive Maria Said previously told 7News the "dairy fine" label should be scrapped.