UK man nearly dies after drinking McDonald's hot chocolate

George Brown was taken to hospital after consuming the hot chocolate.
George Brown was taken to hospital after consuming the hot chocolate. Photo credit: Getty

A UK man with a serious milk allergy says he nearly died after he was mistakenly given a hot chocolate at a McDonald's restaurant.

George Brown, 22, was taken to hospital after consuming the hot chocolate. He had ordered a black coffee from the Manchester restaurant, local news source The Sun reports.

His tongue started swelling, he was dizzy and short of breath after taking one sip, Brown said.

He told The Sun the allergic reaction was unpredictable.

"A reaction like this can narrow your airways to the point where you can't breathe.

"That's the severe level I could have gone to. I could have died."

McDonald's says it was a "most unfortunate error" and apologised for the incident, The Sun reports. The restaurant's assistant manager had emailed Brown to express regret.

On Facebook, views were mixed and some were critical of McDonald's.

"When you order a black coffee you expect a black coffee. You shouldn't have to check," one wrote.

Others said Brown should have double checked his beverage.

"I don't have an allergy but it's just a habit to drink given to me with a lid on," one said. "Pretty sure chocolate and coffee smell differently too."

Newshub.

Contact Newshub with your story tips:
news@newshub.co.nz