'I could definitely feel it in my guts': Fiancée accidentally swallows engagement ring in sleep

Jenna Evans with an X-ray of the ring.
Jenna Evans with an X-ray of the ring. Photo credit: Jenna Evans / Facebook

A US woman who accidentally swallowed her engagement ring in her sleep has opened up about the ordeal.

Jenna Evans says she thought she was dreaming when she swallowed the ring on Tuesday night. But when she woke up and noticed her ring was no longer on her hand, Evans and her fiance Bob came to the horrifying realisation that her dream had been real.

"I went to urgent care where I struggled to explain why I was there, because I was laughing/crying so hard," she posted to Facebook.

"The doctor ordered an Xray and seemed pretty shocked when she walked back in with a second doctor and showed me that sure enough, my ring was right there in my stomach!"

After deciding "NOT to let nature take its course", doctors advised that the ring would need to be removed.

"At this point, I could definitely feel it in my guts, it was starting to really hurt and make us nervous," she wrote.

"They decided an upper endoscopy was just the thing and said don't worry its not [a] big deal, but please sign this release form just in case you die. Then I cried a lot because I would be SO MAD if I died."

An X-ray image shows the large ring just beyond her stomach, in her intestines. Evans was put to sleep, and given an upper endoscopy to remove the ring.

The ring needed to be removed.
The ring needed to be removed. Photo credit: Jenna Evans / Facebook

"Apparently I don't do great with anesthesia because I came out of it hysterically crying and was totally inconsolable," she wrote afterwards.

"I demanded that Bobby take me to In-n-Out and Chick-fil-A. He loves me, so he drove me through In-n-Out and got me a double-double, mustard fried with cheese fries and a chocolate shake but put his foot down and said no to Chick-fil-A.

"I probably cried as I stuffed cheese fries in my mouth. I asked for my ring, he said no. Thank God I had that chocolate shake.

"Bobby finally gave my ring back this morning - I promised not to swallow it again, we're still getting married and all is right in the world."

Her post has since gone viral with more than 20,000 reactions and nearly 10,000 comments as of Saturday afternoon.

Newshub.

Contact Newshub with your story tips:
news@newshub.co.nz