Israeli woman taken to hospital after thinking wasabi was avocado

The woman was hospitalised with a broken heart.
The woman was hospitalised with a broken heart. Photo credit: Getty

An Israeli woman suffered a "broken heart" after accidentally eating wasabi, thinking it was avocado.

The 60-year-old suffered chest pain following the consumption and presented to an emergency department, where she was diagnosed with takotsubo cardiomyopathy, otherwise known as "broken heart syndrome".

Researchers at Israel's Soroka University Medical Center say to the best of their knowledge, it's the first report of broken heart syndrome caused by consuming wasabi.

A case report published in BMJ says broken heart cases are usually triggered by sudden intense emotional or physical stress.

"She attended a wedding and ate a large amount of wasabi, assuming it to be an avocado," the report's abstract says.

According to NBC News, physician and report co-author Dr Alona Finkel-Oron says the woman felt pressure in her chest before being hospitalised.

"She was sure it was an avocado, that is why she took a full spoon of it.

"Of course, she was shocked to find out it was not," Dr Finkel-Oron says, according to NBC.

The American Heart Association says in most cases, broken heart syndrome is treatable and most people make a full recovery within weeks.

Newshub.

Contact Newshub with your story tips:
news@newshub.co.nz