McDonald's is celebrating the 40th anniversary of its iconic Happy Meal by re-releasing a range of its most popular throwback toys.
The limited edition 'Surprise Happy Meal' will be served with a classic toy, many of which have become coveted collectors' items since their release in the 1980s and 1990s.
Each Surprise Happy Meal will come with one of fifteen available toys, with fan favourites Hamburglar, Power Rangers and My Little Pony sure to stir up nostalgia for nineties' babies.
The Surprise Happy Meal will be available in participating McDonald's restaurants nationwide from November 21 for a limited time.
The fast-food franchise is commemorating the kids' combo milestone by launching the Surprise Happy Meal across 90 countries.
The official lineup of toys available in New Zealand:
- Cowboy McNugget (McDonald's): 1988
- Fireman McNugget (McDonald's): 1988
- Mail Carrier McNugget (McDonald’s): 1988
- Hamburger Changeable (McDonald’s): 1989
- Grimace (McDonald’s): 1990
- Dino Happy Meal Box Changeable (McDonald’s): 1991
- McDonald’s Hot Wheels Thunderbird (Mattel): 1993
- Hamburglar (McDonald’s): 1995
- Power Rangers (Hasbro): 1995
- Space Jam Bugs Bunny (Warner Brothers): 1996
- Patti the Platypus (Ty Beanie Baby): 1997
- Tamagotchi (Bandai): 1998
- My Little Pony (Hasbro): 1998
- Furby (Hasbro): 1999
- Hello Kitty (Sanrio): 2013
McDonald's CEO Steve Easterbrook said the Happy Meal's "iconic red box" symbolises "lasting memories for billions of families across the world".
"Parents tell us how fondly they recall their favourite toys," said McDonald's senior vice president, Colin Mitchell.
"Unboxing the Surprise Happy Meal together creates a real moment of bonding with their children. We hope these toys are something that they will treasure and remember."