A teenager in the US has ended up in hospital after forming an addiction to doughnut-flavoured vape liquid.
Zane Martin was admitted to the hospital five weeks ago after experiencing deadly symptoms, believed to be caused by vaping. According to ABC7, he nearly lost his life.
"I liked how it tastes. It tastes like doughnuts.
"But no more. It's really bad for you," Zane told ABC7.
The 15-year-old from California said after taking up vaping a few months ago, he started to have a hard time breathing.
- Doctors blame vaping for US teen's serious lung damage
- Auckland high school principal calls on Government to get tough on vaping 'epidemic'
- Outrage over tobacco giant Philip Morris' attempts to target poor Kiwis
He told doctors he was vaping a THC cartridge, ABC7 reports, which he had purchased for $NZ39.
Doctors told him he had lung damage described as being "severe".
"He was in ICU, sedated, on a breathing machine," mum Elizabeth Martin explained. "It was scary," Elizabeth told local news station KTLA.
It comes as health officials in Los Angeles and throughout the US continue to warn residents about vaping.
"Nationally, there continue to be reports of people showing up in emergency departments with similar symptoms such as coughing, difficulty breathing, fever, and may have vomiting and diarrhea," the county of LA Public Health said in a statement.
"As of October 3, 2019, there are five new reported cases bringing the total to 21 cases of serious vaping-associated pulmonary injury and one death associated with e-cigrattes in Los Angeles County.
"All but one reported using both e-cigarette and a cannabis-type product, but not necessarily at the same time."
Zane is now warning others about the dangers of vaping.
"Don't vape. Vaping is very bad for you," he said, according to KTLA. "Unless you want to end up in the hospital, like me."