Australian vet urges pet owners not to feed their animal fatty festive foods

Everyday life at home with dogs
Photo credit: Getty.

An Australian vet has warned pet owners of what not to feed their animals over the festive season.

Brisbane-based vet, Dr Naomi Lessels, posted the plea on Facebook after being unable to save a critically ill dog who came into her vet clinic after eating a "decent slab" of ham skin. 

The dog died of pancreatitis, which was caused by the high-fat leftover given to the canine.

Pancreatitis, which is the inflammation of the Pancreas, at its most critical level causes extreme pain for animals and humans.

Treatment usually requires hospitalisation.

"WARNING PLEASE DO NOT give DOGS HAM and other FATTY foods," she posted on Facebook. 

The photos posted by Lessels show what the ill dog's plasma looked like compared to a healthy dog. 

"Milky white when it should be clear. 

"On the right, the green tubes show the milky white fat present and normal looking plasma on the right," posted Lessels. 

Symptoms of Pancreatitis cause vomiting, salivating, depression and abdominal pain.

Lessels informs dog owners to seek prompt veterinary advice if your canine is sick.

The practice Lessels works at possibly sees five to ten dogs each holiday season affected. 

Main foods/products to avoid feeding your household pet

Chocolate 

Just a small amount of chocolate can upset a dog's stomach.

The natural compound theobromine found in chocolate can cause heart attacks, muscle tremors, seizures and internal bleeding in dogs.

Fatty foods

Fatty food such as meat scraps, butter and oils can inflame a dog's pancreas.  

"Hams, steaks, sausage rolls, meat pies, pork should all be avoided," Lessels told 7News.

Caffeine

According to pet poison helpline, animals are more sensitive to caffeine than people are.

Coffee grounds, tea bags or one to two diet pills can quickly cause death in small pooches or cats.

Lillies 

They may look pretty, but lilies are highly toxic to cats and can cause death if the kitty manages to get at them.

Some varieties are dangerous to dogs too. 

The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) says dogs should be kept away from peace lily, calla lily, amaryllis, lily of the valley or palm lily.

Medicines

Human medicines can caue harm to animals. 

Advil, Tylenol, antidepressants, ADD /ADHD medicines like Concerta, Adderall and Ritalin, birth control hormones, cholesterol-lowering pills and Beta-blockers even in a small amount are all harmful to animals.

Pets that ingest or eat any of these medicines may develop serious stomach and intestinal ulcers as well as kidney failure.

Essential oils

 Essential oil diffusers and treatments could be a problem for animals sensitive to dermal exposure.

The ASPCA says to avoid using diffusers in homes where birds are present or rooms where animals groom themselves.

Do not apply highly concentrated oils to pets and use a diffuser somewhere where a pet cannot reach it and they can leave the room if the smell is too strong for them.

Contact Newshub with your story tips:
news@newshub.co.nz