The one thing that really seems to get us all through lockdown is food. The first time around was marked by dalgona coffee, sourdough and banana bread, but until now there hasn't been a food thats become the star of Auckland's lockdown 2.0.
Until now that is. If you're on social media app TikTok you've probably seen home cooks - both accomplished and otherwise - putting their spin on a viral egg sandwich recipe.
There doesn't seem to be a particular TikToker credited with starting the sandwich, but it's become the new recipe du jour. Some chefs are adding more traditional ingredients like cheese and bacon, while others have gone for strawberry jam or fried chicken for a more unique take.
To make the basic version, all you need is bread, butter (or oil) and eggs.
There are numerous videos tagged with the 'eggsandwich' hastag showing the innovative method, including these ones which have each been viewed millions of times.
One of the most soothing videos is this one from Ivy Cher, whose take on the recipe has been watched more than 300,000 times. She offers a step-by-step guide that looks as easy as it does delicious.
What makes it different from a traditional egg sandwich is the bread is cooked in the egg in the pan, before being flipped and folded, turning it into a savoury French toast sandwich.
The full recipe was shared on recipe website Taste of Home, with the author swearing she was going to add it to her regular repertoire.
We'll definitely be giving it a go this weekend.
How to make the TikTok breakfast sandwich:
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 slices of bread
- Butter or oil for your pan
- Cheese and bacon (optional)
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl, then pour into a greased skillet over medium heat.
- Dip two slices of bread in the egg mixture, then flip over and place in the skillet.
- Once the eggs are cooked, flip both the slices of bread over at the same time (so the eggs are now on top).
- Fold any overlapping edges of egg onto the bread, then flip one slice of bread onto the other to finish off your sandwich.