An Auckland McDonald's customer was shocked after biting into a chicken nugget and finding it completely raw inside.
The customer, who asked not to be named, told Newshub he visited the Lunn Ave store at around 10:30pm on Saturday.
"I purchased a 10-pack of chicken nuggets from the Lunn Ave McDonald's."
The customer sent Newshub a photo showing the undercooked nugget.
"Pictured is one of the nuggets after biting into the raw chicken. It wasn't the only nugget that seemed undercooked."
A spokesperson for McDonald's said they take food safety complaints very seriously and encouraged customers to contact them if they have any problems.
"McDonald's restaurants have audited food safety plans in place, which include daily food safety checks.
"Once we were alerted to the issue via Newshub we sought to get the customer's contact details so we can initiate an investigation. This process is now underway and we will work to establish what might've happened."
Consuming raw chicken can lead to illness from campylobacter, salmonella and E.coli, according to Healthline's website.
The most common symptoms that occur include abdominal cramps, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, fever, headache and muscle pain.