Heard of mac and cheese - what about kimchi pumpkin mac and cheese?
This dish is suitable for those who find the classic mac and cheese too cheesy as the addition of kimchi and pumpkin gives this classic Western dish a Korean twist.
To make things easier, this recipe only requires one pot and two steps. Yes, that simple! Time to make your own mac and cheese at home!
- Serves two people
- 200g dried elbow macaroni
- ¼ butternut squash (peeled and coarsely grated)
- 3 tbsp kimchi (roughly chopped)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 500ml milk
- 200ml water
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- chopped spring onions (to garnish)
1) Cook the macaroni
- In a pot, melt the butter over a medium heat.
- Sauté the grated butternut squash and half the kimchi for 30 seconds.
- Pour the milk and water into the pot, and bring to a boil.
- Stir in the macaroni, and turn the heat down to a simmer.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
2) Add the cheese
- When the macaroni is cooked through, stir in the remaining kimchi and the two types of cheese.
- Once the cheese has melted evenly, serve.
- Garnish with chopped spring onions before eating.
Asian Food Network