A popular spicy dried chilli pepper chicken dish. There is a lovely description of the dish saying that you need to find the chicken among the chilli peppers!
- Serves two people
- 4 pcs boneless chicken leg
- (cut into 1" cubes)
- ½ lemon (juiced)
- 1 ½ tbsp minced ginger
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- Oil for deep frying
- 6 cloves garlic (minced)
- 5 slices ginger
- 3 stalks spring onion (white part sliced & green part cut into 1" length)
- 1 tbsp szechuan peppercorn
- 20 pcs dried chilli (pre-soaked & cut into quarters)
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp sugar (to taste)
- 2 tsp toasted sesame seeds
1) Marinate chicken
- In a bowl, marinate chicken with lemon juice, ginger, light soy sauce and salt.
- Set aside for about 15mins.
2) Fry chicken
- In a pan, heat oil and deep fry chicken over medium high heat for 6-7 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
- Drain and set aside
3) Fry spices and chicken
- Heat pan with 50ml of the deep frying oil on medium heat and add in the garlic, ginger, white part of spring onion and stir fry till fragrant.
- Add in Szechuan peppercorn and dried chilli to stir-fry over medium low heat until fragrant.
- Add in the chicken, water, sugar and stir fry till water evaporates.
- Add the green part spring onions, and sesame seeds and toss over high heat for a minute.
- Plate and serve!
- You can replace chicken with pork cubes, chicken skin, pig skin etc.
- Try it with oyster mushroom cubes for a vegetarian version.
Asian Food Network