If you're a Kiwi beauty and skincare aficionado you would have been hard-pressed to miss the opening of Auckland's new beauty mothership over the weekend: The flagship Mecca store in Sylvia Park, currently the largest in Aotearoa.
It joins a lineup of incredible local offerings for beauty fans, post the 'great skincare boom' of the 2020 lockdowns. US beauty giant Sephora is, of course, still going strong after opening its first NZ store to queues of over 1000 people, and local K-beauty brand Hikoco continues to go from strength to strength.
But the newest Mecca offering beats them all in terms of size and offerings. It's a two-level, 491 square metre shop featuring over 100 different beauty brands. It also boasts four dedicated beauty service zones featuring over 20 different services across skin treatments, fragrance consultations, makeup applications and a 'brow zone'.
If you're feeling overwhelmed with what to pick off the glossy shelves, Mecca skincare education manager Lucy Connell is here to help. She's gathered a dedicated local following on her own Instagram page where she often tests and trials products for followers.
Connell told Newshub the COVID-19 pandemic lockdowns triggered a huge demand from Kiwis for "high-performance skincare lines and devices, with customers wanting to receive facial-level results from their own homes".
"Alongside this boom in the skincare industry, I am loving seeing skincare benefits being infused across all areas of the beauty space - with efficacious ingredients making their way into makeup and body care launches too," she said.
Connell has put together her top five products to grab when you're next there:
- Being a skincare-obsessive, I love seeing the fusion between skincare and makeup, and one of my favourite brands that consistently delivers is Kosas. Their Revealer Super Creamy + Brightening concealer is the best example of this, featuring arnica to soothe, caffeine to brighten and peptides to plump fine lines, it not only instantly conceals but makes the eye area look brighter over time.
- I'm so glad that I can repurchase Angela Caglia's Detox Serum! Being a celebrity facialist, Angela Caglia creates clean, effective skincare that repairs your skin over time. The Detox Serum uses tea tree, chlorophyll, and willow bark to soothe and clarify any congestion. It's perfect for anyone with hormonal breakouts or mask-ne!
- If you're looking for a fragrance that will always get you compliments, (MALIN+GOETZ) Dark Rum EDP is the way to go! It feels cosy and warm, and the combination of rum and bergamot creates a sweet, mysterious scent which sits beautifully on everyone.
- I can't go a day without reaching for Drunk Elephant's D-Bronzi. This is another skincare and makeup hybrid that can be used on its own as a gel bronzer, or blended into your moisturiser to add a faux-glow that we are all needing now we are spending less time in the sun.
- If your skin is feeling dryer this winter, the Aqua Hydrating Masque from Syrene Skincare is the perfect way to add a burst of moisture to your routine. The mask uses botanicals sourced in Aotearoa including mānuka honey to soothe and hydrate the skin. Use 2-3 times a week instead of your night-time moisturiser and you'll wake up with glowing, hydrated skin!