Sushi rice is steamed short-grain Japanese rice flavoured with vinegar - it is the most essential part of perfect sushi.
The preparation of perfect sushi rice is snappy and easy, requiring only a few simple ingredients and seasonings all in a rice cooker.
Pair this with some crispy tonkatsu pork, drizzled with some umami sauce, an oozy ramen egg and a handful of freshly shredded salad with mayo and you’re set for a hearty lunch!
- Serves 2 people
- 1 cup short-grain rice (180ml)
- 1.1 cup water (approx. 200ml)
- 1/8 cup or 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp sugar
Broccoli & garnish:
- 2 broccoli florets
- 4 cherry tomatoes
- Miso soup
- Inari (sweet tofu skin)
- Seaweed sheet
1) Rinse and drain short-grained rice
- Pour rice into rice cooker pot. Rinse a few rounds with tap water until water turns clear.
- Add 200ml water to the rice & cook onwhite rice setting.
- Remove the rice from the rice cooker once cooked.
2) Make vinegar seasoning mixture
- In a small bowl or container, combine vinegar, salt and sugar. Stir until salt and sugar are well dissolved.
3) Season rice
- Pour this mixture over the cooked rice.
- Slice but not mash the rice with a rice paddle and flip in between to break up rice clumps.
4) Prepare the Accompaniments and garnish
- Shape sushi rice into any shape. Try cartoon characters for a more presentable and favourable appearance. Use seaweed sheets & sweet tofu skins to bring out your creativity.
- Garnish the sushi plate with some blanched broccoli, and fresh cherry tomatoes.
Plate and Serve!
Sushi rice can be used to make many sushi variations such as Nigiri, Maki, Uramaki, and Temaki. Serve sushi with a bowl of hot miso soup.
Asian Food Network