UK doctor reveals why you should never take paracetamol to treat a hangover

Many of us reach for a couple of painkillers to ease the hurt the morning after a few too many drinks, perhaps alongside a Powerade and something greasy to eat. 

But a UK doctor has explained why popping paracetamol after drinking alcohol is actually the last thing you should do, as mixing the two substances could be dangerous.

Posting on TikTok, Dr Karan Rangarjan - a surgical doctor and lecturer at Sunderland University - said you risk causing severe damage to liver cells by taking Panadol or other paracetamol-based products. 

Both paracetamol and alcohol produce "toxic products" when broken down in the body, he said.

"When you take paracetamol, it's broken down by the body to various chemicals," Dr Rangarjan said, in the video shared by The Sun.

"One of these chemicals is a toxic compound that can damage liver cells.

"To prevent this damage the liver produces glutathione to neutralise this toxic compound.

"Glutathione also neutralises acetaldehyde, the toxic breakdown products of alcohol."

Dr Rangarhan said mixing the two means there's "just not enough glutathione to go round" in the body to neutralise the compounds. 

He recommended taking ibuprofen instead of paracetamol to treat hangover headaches.

It's not the first piece of health advice he's shared on his TikTok. 

Last year, Dr Rangarhan went viral with a video explaining why wearing gloves in public isn't as helpful against catching COVID-19 as you might think.