UK mum warns against viral poached egg 'hack' after suffering horrific, third-degree burns

A UK woman has warned others against a viral 'hack' for poaching eggs after boiling water "exploded" in her face. 

Chantelle Conway, 25, says she has often made poached eggs using the viral TikTok trick which was popularised by clips like this one viewed over 1 million times from The Bournemouth Mum. 

According to The Daily Mail, last week Conway recreated the trick as usual, boiling the kettle and filling a mug with hot water, before cracking in an egg and placing it in the microwave. 

But when she put a cold metal spoon in to check the egg, the boiling water "went everywhere". 

"All over my face and neck and I'm sure it even hit the ceiling because there's a mark above where I was standing," she revealed. 

She called it the "worst pain I've ever experienced in my life and I've had two natural childbirths". 

"It felt like someone had a blowtorch on my face constantly and I was convinced my whole face had burnt off.

"'I think I probably would've died from the pain if I hadn't acted so fast pouring cold water on myself because it was that bad, I couldn't handle it."

Over the following weeks the wounds reportedly blistered, and have now begun to heal. 

Conway is now warning others not to try the trick and has vowed never to eat eggs again.

“I'll never have an egg again because I'm so traumatised - I used to love eggs.

"I do take full responsibility for what happened, it was silly of me to do it and I just want more people to know what can happen so it doesn't happen to anyone else."

She's not the first person to suffer burns as a result of the 'trick'. Earlier this year, a 12-year-old also suffered severe facial burns when the scalding water sprayed on her.