When you're craving for Indian food, this classic butter chicken will definitely satisfy your tastebuds.
Juicy morsels of chicken cooked in a decadent gravy that is creamy and velvety smooth, this dish can be enjoyed on its own but will taste even better when eaten with rice or flatbreads like naan to soak up the flavours of the buttery spiced tomato sauce.
This recipe will serve four people.
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp oil
- ¼ cup cooking cream
- 1 tbsp plain yogurt
- 1 cup yellow onion(diced)
- 6 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 green chili (sliced thinly)
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger paste
- 3 black cloves
- 3 cardamom pods
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 ½ tbsp curry powder
- 1 ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tomatoes (diced small)
- 2 pcs skinless chicken breast (cut into large cubes)
- ¼ cup water (use more if the gravy is becoming too thick)
- Salt to taste
- Sugar to taste
- Fresh coriander leaves (chopped)
- Fresh mint (chopped)
- Heat up a pan, over low-medium heat. Add butter and oil.
- Add diced onion. Leave to cook till onions are translucent.
- Add garlic, ginger paste and green chili, cardamom, cinnamon stick and cloves.
- Add chicken, lower heat. Add dry spices, tomato paste and water. Stir well. Let chicken cook.
- Add cooking cream, yogurt and diced tomatoes. Season with salt and sugar.
- Leave to thicken.
- Garnish with chopped mint and coriander leaves. Serve with rice or naan.
Asian Food Network