Versatile as party food or an appetizer, this crispy and savoury Vietnamese-inspired snack paired with its dipping sauce is ideal for adults and kids.
This recipe serves eight people.
- 12 rice paper rounds (6-inch diameter)
- 170g minced chicken - can be substitued with minced pork
- 110g raw shrimp (peeled, deveined and finely minced)
- ¼ cup dried wood ear fungus (soaked to soften and minced) - can be substitued with shiitake mushroom
- 30g glass noodles (soaked in warm water to soften and cut into 2-inch lengths)
- ½ cup carrot (julienned)
- ½ cup mang guang or turnip (julienned)
- ⅓ cup spring onion (julienned)
- 2 sprig mint
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp big red chilli (sliced)
- ½ tsp garlic (minced)
- ½ tsp sugar
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- ¼ tbsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- Vegetable oil
1) Toss vegetables in salt
- In a bowl, toss chopped carrot, mang guang, spring onions and 1 tsp salt until well mixed. Set aside for 20 minutes.
2) Remove liquid from vegetables
- After 20 minutes, use hands to squeeze out excess liquid and discard the liquid.
- Place vegetable back into mixing bowl.
3) Add noodles, meats and seasoning
- Add wood ear fungus, cellophane noodles, minced chicken, minced shrimp, ½ tsp sugar, 2 tsp soy sauce and ¼ tbsp black pepper. Mix well and set aside.
- You can replace minced chicken with minced pork if you wish.
4) Wet rice paper round
- Fill a large bowl with water. Dip 1 rice paper round into water bowl until fully moistened and softened.
- Place rice paper round on a clean flat work surface.
5) Roll spring rolls
- Place about 1tbsp filling in center and take the edge closest to you and fold over filling.
- Fold in left and right sides and continue rolling away from you.
- Repeat with remaining rice paper rounds and filling.
6) Deep-fry spring rolls
- In a pot, heat up vegetable oil for deep-frying spring rolls. Once oil is hot, add a few rolls at a time, turning occasionally.
- Fry for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove from oil and place spring rolls on a paper towel-lined plate.
7) Make dipping sauce
- In a bowl, add ¼ cup water, 2 tbsp fish sauce, 1 tsp rice vinegar, 1 tbsp lime juice, sliced large red chili, 1 sprig mint leaves, minced garlic and 1 tbsp brown sugar.
- Mix until sugar dissolves.
Plate and serve: Place spring rolls onto serving plate and serve hot with dipping sauce on the side.
Asian Food Network