More Kinder-branded chocolate products are being recalled from New Zealand shelves due to fears of possible contamination with salmonella bacteria.
Last week, it was announced that Kinder Surprise Maxi 100g (Natoons variety) with batch number L298R03UNB and a best before date of August 23, 2022 were affected by the possible contamination and had been recalled from New Zealand retailers.
In a statement on Tuesday afternoon, the Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) confirmed that multinational confectionery manufacturer Ferrero has extended its global recall to include additional Kinder chocolates that are available to buy in New Zealand.
Kiwis should discard or return any Kinder-branded products that were made in Belgium, MPI has warned. This information is available on the label.
"The previous recall covered named products with best before dates up to October 7, 2022," said deputy director-general of New Zealand Food Safety, Vincent Arbuckle.
"Products under recall have expanded to include any Kinder product made in Belgium, including all batches and date ranges. All products affected by the recall will have 'Made in Belgium' on the label."
Ferrero has confirmed the following products have been imported:
- All batches of Kinder Surprise Maxi Eggs (100g) - White, Natoons, Frozen, Christmas and Miraculous Range
- All batches and sizes of Kinder Mini Eggs Hazelnut
- All batches of Kinder Happy Moments Ballotin (190g) - Christmas product
- All batches of Kinder (133g) with a plush toy - Christmas product.
These products have been available to purchase at major retailers throughout New Zealand including New World, Pak'n Save, Four Square, Countdown, FreshChoice, SuperValue, Kmart and The Warehouse stores, Arbuckle added. Some have also been sold at smaller local stores.
"The key thing to remember is to check the label of Kinder chocolates. If it says 'Made in Belgium' it will be covered by the recall and should be thrown away or returned to the place of purchase. If you are in any doubt, please return the product to the place of purchase," Arbuckle continued.
"We know these products, which contain small toys, are particularly popular with children, so we urge people to take every precaution. The effects of salmonella infection can be serious, particularly in children younger than five years, adults [aged] 65 and over, and people with weakened immune systems.
"If you or a family member has eaten product affected by the recall and have concerns for your health, seek medical advice. Salmonella infection can spread between people, so if you suspect you are affected please wash your hands thoroughly and avoid preparing food for others if possible.
"Most people infected with Salmonella develop diarrhoea, fever, and stomach cramps six hours to six days after being exposed to the bacteria. The illness usually lasts four to seven days, and most healthy adults recover without treatment.
"There are no reported cases of related illness in New Zealand. Affected product has not been re-exported."
More up-to-date information on the recall can be found on the Food Recall website.