Burger King is investigating after a customer posted photos of a mouldy burger allegedly from one of its stores on social media this week.
The customer said she bought the burger from the fast-food store on Leach St in New Plymouth on Thursday, as part of a meal costing $51. The photos posted on Facebook show widespread mould covering the bottom of the burger bun.
"Cheers Burger King NZ… I gave my intellectually disabled brother the other burger and he ate it! You grubs!" the customer said on Facebook.
When Newshub asked Burger King about the post on Facebook, a spokeswoman said it is aware of the photos and investigating.
"We are aware of this Facebook post however we have not yet been able to reach the customer to discuss this issue in detail," the spokeswoman said.
"We have begun an internal investigation based on the information in the photos which we will conclude and take all necessary actions required, once we have been able to gather further details from the customer."
Burger King said the company prides itself on food quality and safety.
"We look forward to rectifying this issue with the guest as soon as possible as we food quality and safety very seriously and aim to provide our guests with a great dining experience," the spokeswoman told Newshub.
Social media commenters were disgusted at the photos of the mouldy burger, with one saying: "This is so gross never eating at BK again."
"How could u not see the mold [sic] while preparing the burger wtf," another added.
"The standard of care in that particular BK is shocking!!" said another.