These popular Indonesian deep-fried vegetable fritters are widely sold by street vendors as snacks. They can be served as a standalone snack or an accompaniment dish with rice.
Serves 2 to 3
- 200g all-purpose flour
- 100g cabbage
- 1 carrot
- 2 spring onions
- 2 stalks of Chinese celery
- 0.5 tsp chicken stock powder
- 0.5 tsp pepper
- 250ml cold water
- 500ml cooking oil for deep frying.
1. Prepare the vegetables
- Wash the vegetables. Shred the cabbage and carrot.
- Cut the spring onion and Chinese celery finely.
2. Make the mixture
- Make the dough by mixing the flour and cold water. Mix well to get the right thickness. Add the chicken stock and pepper powder.
- Mix the vegetables into the dough and combine well.
- Heat the cooking oil then take a spoonful of the dough and fry it until it's golden brown. Flip and cook until the other side is also nicely browned and crisp.
- Remove the fritter from the oil and drain any excess on kitchen towels.
4. Plate and serve
- Serve with fresh green chillies or chilli sauce.
Asian Food Network