A roast duck, onion and mushroom pie has been unveiled as the winner of New Zealand's 25th Supreme Pie Awards, hailed for its perfect balance, beautiful pastry and great flavour.
The title secures Patrick Lam - of Patrick's Pies Gold Star Bakery in Bethlehem, Tauranga - his eighth win in the annual Bakels competition, marking a return to the throne for the country's most decorated pie-maker.
Entered in the Gourmet Meat category, the duck, onion and mushroom creation "silenced the room" with its flavour, according to the judging panel.
"Each time Patrick has won, there have been a different set of judges judging the category - it just goes to show that if you present a stunning pie that ticks all the boxes and outshines every other pie, the judges are going to choose it," Bakels managing director Brent Kersel said in a statement on Tuesday.
"This year I'd have to say was one of the toughest years we've seen in the judging because there were so many superb pies to the point that it was too close to call a category winner in several of the categories and they were re-judged. It was that close."
He continued: "So I'd like to say, well done to all the bakers that entered. The standard of your pie-making is the highest we have ever seen and you should be proud to put those pies in your shop to sell.
"And to Patrick, your hard work and passion to be the winner in our 25th year is an outstanding achievement. You deserve the glory."
In addition to being crowned the Supreme winner for his Gourmet Meat entry, Lam also secured gold in the Chicken & Vegetable and Vegetarian categories, and silver in Steak & Gravy.
Lam was officially crowned New Zealand's 'Pie King' at the Supreme Pie Awards' ceremony on Tuesday, August 1.
The winning pies
- Steak & Gravy: Srieng Choeu, Fresh Bun Café, Tuakau
- Mince & Gravy: Ty Lim, Orewa Bakery
- Potato Top: Buntha Meng, Wild Grain Bakery, Silverdale
- Steak & Cheese: Lam Ho, Paetiki Bakery, Taupō
- Chicken & Vegetable: Patrick Lam, Patrick's Pies, Tauranga
- Café Boutique: Michelle Liddell, Chill Café, Whangamata
- Vegetarian: Patrick Lam, Patrick's Pies, Tauranga
- Commercial Wholesale: Charlotte Grieve, Dad's Pies, Silverdale
- Mince & Cheese: Tina Yi, Mairangi Bay Bakery
- Gourmet Meat: Patrick Lam, Patrick's Pies, Tauranga
- Bacon & Egg: Sam Jampa, Avalon Bakehouse Café, Hamilton
- Supreme Award: Patrick Lam, Patrick's Pies, Tauranga.