US teenager almost dies after phone charger incident, neck electrified by 'hot coil'

Split-screen of the teen's injuries
Doctors say an American teen could have died after being electrocuted and burned severely. Photo credit:

An American teenager says he is lucky to be alive after being electrified like a "hot coil" from a phone charger. 

The 16-year-old from Oklahoma has been left with scars on his neck following the incident. 

On the night of April 30, Rayce Ogdahl had been sleeping when his mother heard a sudden noise from his bedroom, The New York Post reports. 

His mother, 36-year-old Danielle Davis, assumed he was getting frustrated over a video game, until he emerged from his room covered in burns. 

"I heard him shout, 'Mom!' - and my son was standing in the hallway," the mother-of-six said. "He said, 'I've been electrocuted. It was my necklace'." 

Davis said Ogdahl had a ring of scorch marks around his neck. 

"The whole house smelled like burnt hair and skin and electrical burns," she recalled. 

She said she quickly called for an ambulance and waited for its arrival while her son described what had happened. 

"He explained to us that he was in bed, rolled over to get comfortable, when he heard something fall off the bed," said Davis.

"He said he wanted to make sure his phone was still charging so his alarm would go off for school the next day." 

Davis explained that while leaning out of bed, his cross necklace touched the "barely exposed" prongs from the phone charger - turning his jewellery into a "high-voltage shock collar". 

Ogdahl recalled seeing sparks from his neck within a matter of seconds. 

"He said he was completely conscious through the whole thing and was aware he was being electrocuted," Davis said. "He thought he was going to die.

"Because everything was metal, it made a complete circuit around his neck. It was like a hot coil."

Along with a "significant mark" on his neck, the teen also suffered burns on his hands from trying to rip off the chain. 

He said it was so hot, it "welded part of his chain to the charger". 

Ogdahl was rushed to hospital, where doctors said he had endured "enough amps to kill him," according to The New York Post. 

He suffered second, third and fourth-degree burns along with significant scarring extending from his chin to his collarbone. 

Davis expressed she's "grateful he's OK" and warned others of the dangers of leaving electronic devices in bed. 

"When it comes to your phone, there's not a text message or notification that is important enough to have your phone on your bed," she said. 

"Anything can happen and Rayce is proof of that. Pay attention to your cords and I would recommend to anybody, don't use extension cords at all."