The US holiday of Thanksgiving may not be widely celebrated in New Zealand, but that's not stopping Kiwi retailers getting in on the act
Black Friday is a well-known tradition in the US, where big box retailers such as Walmart have one off discounts on items prompting a huge rush of customers.
It takes place on the last Friday in November, immediately after Thanksgiving.
In the US, shoppers can expect a fight for goods, with scenes of huge lines and customers fighting over products common. But in New Zealand things are a bit more sedate.
Here are some of the deals New Zealand retailers are offering today:
- Mighty Ape is reducing the price of consoles by up to $140
- New Balance has 50 percent off all stock storewide
- The Warehouse has significantly reduced the price on electronics and outdoor pools
- Harvey Norman has slashed $490 off some electronics
- Noel Leeming is advertising up to $225 off laptops
- Air New Zealand has dropped airfares to Asia and the US significantly
- Microsoft has cut 15 percent from the price of Surface Pro tablets
- Briscoes is giving away home wares for up to 70 percent off
- Farmers has up to 60 percent off small appliances and deals across the store
- Cotton On is offering 30-50 percent off storewide