Woman claims Samsung Galaxy Note 9 caught fire in purse

  • 17/09/2018
NEW YORK, NY - AUGUST 09:  Samsung introduces the new, super powerful Galaxy Note9 with all day performance, a new S Pen and intelligent camera - for those who want it all - at Samsung 837 on August 9, 2018 in New York City.  (Photo by Mike Coppola/Getty Images for Samsung)
Photo credit: Getty

A New York woman claims her Samsung Galaxy Note 9 caught fire in her purse.

Real estate agent Diane Chung has filed a lawsuit in the Queens Supreme Court after the alleged incident earlier this month.

She claims she was using the phone when it became "extremely hot", so she put it back in her purse.

A short time later when she was in an elevator she heard a "whistling and screeching sound" and thick smoke began pouring out of her purse.

According to the New York Post, she tipped her bag out onto the elevator floor but the fire didn't stop.

In a panic, she went back down in the elevator to the lobby kicked the phone out when the doors opened.

A bystander doused it by picking the phone up with a cloth and plunging it into a bucket of water.

Ms Chung told the New York Post the experience was "traumatic", it ruined everything in her bag and left her unable to contact clients.

A Samsung spokesperson said in a statement that the company has not received any similar reports about the Samsung Galaxy Note 9, which was released on August 24, and is investigating Ms Chung's complaint.

"Samsung takes customer safety very seriously and we stand behind the quality of the millions of Galaxy devices in use in the United States," it said.

In 2016 Samsung discontinued its Galaxy Note 7 and recalled millions of the phones after a lithium battery defect caused dozens of phones to explode or catch fire.