Cricket bat attacker jailed

  • 14/07/2015
Cricket bat attacker jailed

An Auckland man who bashed his wife and flatmate with a cricket bat in a jealous rage has been jailed for three and a half years.

Daljit Singh has admitted attacking the pair in their Sandringham shared flat last July, when he bashed them, strangled his wife and told his flatmate "just let her die".

He suspected the two, who had been lying under a blanket watching a movie, of having an affair.

Singh pleaded guilty in March to charges of injuring with intent to cause grievous bodily harm, threatening to kill and assault with a weapon.

At the sentencing in Auckland's High Court today, Justice Nick Davidson handed Singh a sentence of three years and six months for his attack on an "entirely vulnerable and defenceless victim" to whom he'd shown "callous indifference".

He told the court the sentence would have been longer if it had not been for an "eloquent plea" by his wife who begged the judge to show her husband mercy.

In a victim impact statement read to court, the woman, whose name has been suppressed, said it was her, not her husband, who had a tendency for violence.

His attack was a one-off "mistake", she said.

"I beg that you don't judge a person by their one mistake. I beg that he can be released. I love him more than my life. Without him I don't feel like living."

The woman said she would never have brought charges herself and had been unable to tell the couple's two young children, who live with relatives in India, that their father was in jail.

Singh himself penned a remorseful letter acknowledging he had made a "huge mistake" and said his "Indian mentality" was to blame.

The judge urged Singh to change his ways, telling him: "She forgives you but it's up to you to show her that you're worthy of her forgiveness."

Details presented to court revealed the full extent of the July 2014 attack which occurred after his wife refused to go to the pair's room while watching a film with her flatmate.

Singh yelled at his wife, kicked her in the stomach as she stood up then used a cricket bat to hit his wife three times, once on the back of her head, and his flatmate twice.

He then strangled while yelling "I'm going to kill you tonight" before the flatmate was able to wrestle him off her.

Singh's unresponsive wife was taken to hospital with injuries to her neck, left wrist, right forearm and the back of her head.

As his visa has expired, Singh is likely to deported once his sentence is served.