Child sex offender Daniel Livingstone still on the run

  • 07/08/2015
Daniel Livingstone (Supplied)
Daniel Livingstone (Supplied)

A convicted child sex offender who has evaded official surveillance by removing his electronic bracelet remains on the run today.

Daniel Livingstone fled from an Upper Hutt property yesterday.

Police were called to his flat by Corrections staff, who were alerted by the tamper alarm on the bracelet.

Livingstone has been under supervision since his release from prison last year on a 10-year sentence for the abduction and rape of a 10-year-old girl in Whangarei.

It's believed he has contacts in Whangarei, Palmerston North and Christchurch, and Detective Inspecter Grant Wormald says police throughout the country are on the lookout.

"A lot of the staff working in Wellington are stopping cars, going through hotels and looking at likely haunts where somebody might stay, all those sorts of things" he told RadioLIVE.

Corrections, which has been criticised for taking seven hours to confirm Livingstone had cut off his bracelet, is liaising with the victim's family.

"The bracelet was removed around about 1:45am and the monitoring company attended, but it wasn't until around about 8:30am that police attended with Corrections and forced entry into the house to confirm that he was missing."

Labour's Corrections spokesperson Kelvin Davis says it's outrageous Livingstone was given a seven-hour headstart.

"It's just entirely unacceptable... the public need to know that the authorities, if they're going to release these guys with their bracelets, that they're going to be monitored and it's going to be urgent, and they're not going to wait seven hours."

There are also concerns for Livingstone's state of mind after a note was found at the property.

"The nature of the note would suggest we should be a little bit concerned about Mr Livingstone's wellbeing, and the fact he might be in a position where he's considering self-harm," says Insp Wormald.

3 News / RadioLIVE