A well-known Irish bar in Dunedin's been gutted by a fire that swept through the first floor.
The Bog on George Street was evacuated after an alarm was activated.
Fire service shift manager Mau Barbara says six firefighters were initially sent to the bar just before 7pm.
They couldn't see anything at first, but when a second crew arrived, smoke began billowing from the second floor – then the fire erupted.
It took 20 minutes and five trucks to get the fire under control.
Patrons and staff had already been evacuated by the time they go there.
The fire gutted the first floor office, and it is being treated as suspicious.