Toxic smell at Auckland hotel

  • 25/08/2015
(3 News)
(3 News)

By 3 News online staff

One person has died after what is thought to be a toxic gas leak in a downtown Auckland hotel today.

Emergency services were called to the Grand Chancellor Hotel at about 11am after they received reports of a toxic smell coming from a hotel bathroom.

Police were the first to arrive, but passed the call to the Fire Service who ordered an evacuation and set up a decontamination area outside the building.

A 58-year-old man was found on level three, where the Fire Service entered in protective gear and pulled him out.

He died at the scene just after 12pm and was undergoing decontamination by the Fire Service.

St John Ambulance spokesman Robbie Walker says about 10 further patients were assessed at the scene but did not need to go to hospital.

Motorists are advised to avoid lower Hobson St and the surrounding area while people are evacuated from the hotel and scene, Mr Walker says.

Police have closed two lanes of lower Hobson Street outside the hotel.

3 News/NZN