Alleged sword attacker 'armed and dangerous'

Manjit Singh (supplied)
Manjit Singh (supplied)

Police are today hunting for a mental health patient after he allegedly repeatedly slashed a Waikato woman with a sword.

The suspected attacker, 47-year-old Manjit Singh, is described as armed and dangerous and should not be approached. 

A heavily armed police officer now guards the house where the attack happened, but not last night when Singh came calling.

It wasn't a hammer he armed himself with, but allegedly a sword, an axe and possibly even a gun.

"I understand it is some ceremonial sword," says Detective Senior Sergeant Ross Patterson.

Neighbours told 3 News the woman had serious slash wounds to her face and arm. Her two teenage children were home at the time.

Someone stepped in to stop the attack, but police won't say who.    

"She has some injuries to her head and her arms, as the result of the sword attack she will require surgical treatment," says Snr Sgt Patterson.

Women's Refuge says often vicious attacks to the face are intended as a warning.     

"Sometimes with the partners it is an indicator to say 'If I can't have you nobody can', it is a message to you and everybody else," says Ruahine Albert, of Waikato Women's Refuge.

The woman, who is 50, had a protection order against Singh, but police refuse to say exactly why and declined to provide any details of his history.

"If he is already carrying a gun and a sword and an axe that is already showing  some indicators of the level he is prepared to go to," says Ms Albert.

Late this afternoon the Auckland-based Mason Clinic, which specialises in caring for mentally ill offenders, and the Ministry of the Health confirmed that a man "sought for an alleged serious assault on his partner was under the care of forensic mental health services and a formal investigation into the incident will be announced shortly".

The clinic specialises in inpatient psychiatric care, but declined to say if Singh was in secure care or had escaped.

He's since been seen in Auckland in an orange van that he drove away from the attack in.

"We regard him as dangerous and [he] should not be approached," says Snr Sgt Patterson.

Police are appealing for any further sightings.

3 News