Givealittle set up for Dunedin family left homeless after fire

The house fire that left one young Dunedin family homeless (Supplied)
The house fire that left one young Dunedin family homeless (Supplied)

A Givealittle page has been set up for a young family who survived a fire that ripped through their Dunedin rental property on Friday.

The fire destroyed 80 percent of their Ravensbourne Rd home within an hour.

The two parents and their baby, Evelyn, have been left homeless and are staying in a motel this weekend, which Victim Support has covered.

They have lost everything except some clothes and baby photos, which Evelyn's mother, Courtney Mercer-Black, ran inside to grab, according to the man behind the Givealittle page, John Whitman.

"As of tomorrow afternoon they will have nowhere to go because Victim Support can only offer them a motel for two days," says Mr Whitman.

The family won't be covered by Victim Support because the fire wasn't caused by arson and was instead caused by an electrical fault in the wash house, most likely caused by the dryer, he says.

He met the young family through church and says both parents are hardworking.

"Courtney has done a great deal for members of our church, in particular with counselling the sick and disabled, and has been an excellent role model to the children.

"They don't ask for handouts, instead they help others themselves and I think this an opportunity to support a young family who really need a new start," says Mr Whitman.

The Ravensbourne fire station is also taking in donations for the family.