Former Wellington Lions player Losi Filipo could soon be back in court - and before the same judge who discharged him without conviction for four brutal assaults.
"What the high court says is we return the matter to the district court for further consideration taking this judgement into account," law professor Bill Hodge says.
He says this could mean Mr Filipo could end up in front of the same judge.
Police have filed an appeal in at the Wellington High Court, following the Solicitor-General opening the way for it. A date has yet to be set.
The 18-year-old had his contract ended with the rugby franchise on Tuesday following intense pressure over a brutal attack on four people last year.
"The issue will be whether or not the judge applied the principles in the Sentencing Act appropriately," Mr Hodge says.
Mr Hodge says it's the Solicitor-General's role to ensure the law is applied evenly across district courts.