A gas leak was to blame for a fire that caused a loud explosion and engulfed a house in flames in the Auckland on Tuesday.
An LPG gas leak occurred around an oven at the destroyed property in New Windsor, and the gas ignited when a light switch was turned on.
Fire and Emergency New Zealand officer Jason Goffin said the explosion that neighbours heard at about 6:00am would have been caused by the gas igniting.
Several houses in the area were evacuated as a precaution. A woman was taken to Middlemore Hospital in a serious condition and a man was taken to Auckland Hospital with moderate injuries.
Fire and Emergency New Zealand's advice on gas bottles safety:
- Regularly check and maintain any gas fittings and connections
- Make sure the cylinder is turned off when you're finished using it
- Have all gas appliances serviced according to the manufacturers instructions
- Check your connections for leaks by pouring soapy solution over the valve, if any bubbles are created you may have a gas leak
- If you smell gas, get out of the house and call 111