Gas leak to blame for fire that destroyed Auckland home

A gas leak was to blame for a fire that caused a loud explosion and engulfed a house in flames in the Auckland on Tuesday.

An LPG gas leak occurred around an oven at the destroyed property in New Windsor, and the gas ignited when a light switch was turned on.

Fire and Emergency New Zealand officer Jason Goffin said the explosion that neighbours heard at about 6:00am would have been caused by the gas igniting.

Several houses in the area were evacuated as a precaution. A woman was taken to Middlemore Hospital in a serious condition and a man was taken to Auckland Hospital with moderate injuries.

Fire and Emergency New Zealand's advice on gas bottles safety:

  • Regularly check and maintain any gas fittings and connections
  • Make sure the cylinder is turned off when you're finished using it
  • Have all gas appliances serviced according to the manufacturers instructions
  • Check your connections for leaks by pouring soapy solution over the valve, if any bubbles are created you may have a gas leak
  • If you smell gas, get out of the house and call 111


Contact Newshub with your story tips: