Northern parts of Southland have been blanketed in snow on Tuesday morning.
Snow pelted Garston overnight, leaving livestock dipping their toes in the white stuff instead of green pastures.
A number of state highways across the south have been closed to certain vehicles or have restrictions in place.
Drivers are urged to take care on the following roads:
- State Highway 85 between Ranfurly and Alexandra
- State Highway 8 near Lindis Pass
- State Highway 93 between Clinton and Mataura
- State Highway 8 between Twizel and Fairlie
- State Highway 6 between Gibbston and Frankton
State Highways 85, between Kyeburn and Palmerston, and 94 between, Hollyford Valley and Chasm Stream, also have warnings in place but have also been closed to large vehicles.
Further snow showers are expected around the Dunedin hills and Lindis Pass throughout the day.