A South Korean man, who fled to New Zealand after allegedly killing three of his family members, has appeared in an Auckland court and been remanded in custody.
The 35-year-old made a brief appearance at the North Shore District Court on Monday on a historic theft charge.
Media reports in South Korea say a man fled to New Zealand after allegedly killing his mother, step-father and 14-year-old half brother.
- Korean locals 'scared' with murder suspect on the loose
- Murder suspect fleeing from South Korea is a New Zealand resident
The Korea Herald says two bodies with stab wounds were found in an apartment while another body was later discovered in the boot of a rented vehicle.
Immigration New Zealand said the man arrived in Auckland on October 24 and is a New Zealand resident.
On Sunday police arrested a man who they say arrived in New Zealand from Korea last week.
He was charged over the theft of a fridge freezer, microwave and washing machine in 2015.
In court on Monday the man appeared alongside an interpreter. His lawyer argued for name suppression saying his wife hadn't yet been informed of what was going on.
But the Crown prosecutor said the man's wife was actually in the car when he was arrested - and was well aware of what was going on.
The judge granted name suppression.
In court today were a number of police officers as well as what is understood to be representatives of the Korean embassy.
Police said on Monday afternoon that Crown Law has received a request from Korean authorities "to seek an arrest warrant in relation to other matters in the Republic Of Korea".
The man will appear in court again on Wednesday where name suppression is expected to be lifted.