A truck roll in the has caused long weekend traffic to back up "many kilometres" on Kopu-Hikuai Road near the Coromandel.
A number of other crashes have been reported across the country and authorites are urging motorists to drive carefully.
Where to avoid on your journey home this long weekend
With everyone heading home at the same time after the long weekend, NZTA has issued a guide for motorists highlighting where traffic is likely to be at its busiest.
It comes after a thunderstorm watch was also issued for north Waikato up to Northland and across the northern ridge of the Bay of Plenty, which may also delay traffic.
MetService says heavy rain will hammer parts of the North Island, bringing possible rainfall rates of 20mm - 30mm per hour across Northland, Auckland, Great Barrier Island, Coromandel Peninsula, northern Waikato and the Bay of Plenty.
It warns that amount of rainfall could lead to hazardous driving conditions and cause some slips.
Where to look out for in the North Island:
- State Highway One in Kawakawa
- State Highway One in Whangarei
- State Highway One between Puhoi and Wellsford
- State Highway One in Takanini
- State Highway Two in Maramarua
- State Highway One in Taupiri
- State Highway Two between Paeroa and Tauranga
- State Highway 29 in Kaimai
- State Highway One in Karapiro
- State Highway Five in Te Pohue
- State Highway One in Taihape and Waiouru
- State Highway Two and Three Norsewood between Hastings and Woodville
- State Highway One in Kapiti Coast
- State Highway Two in Rimutaka Hill
- State Highway Six between Nelson and Blenheim
- State Highway Seven in Lewis Pass
- State Highway One in Waipara
- State Highway One in Waimakariri
- State Highway One between Ashburton and Christchurch
- State Highway 73 in Arthur's Pass
- State Highway Six in Queenstown
As of Monday afternoon - the Labour weekend road death toll stands a four after a crash killed two people in Auckland, one woman died on State Highway 47 on Saturday morning and another person was killed near Burnham outside Christchurch on Friday night.