Alleged police teen kidnapping trial nears end

The Crown calls it "an abuse of power and authority".
The Crown calls it "an abuse of power and authority". Photo credit: Newshub

Closing arguments are being heard on Tuesday in the trial of two senior police officers accused of kidnapping a 17-year-old boy.

Inspector Hurimoana Dennis and his co-accused Sergeant Vaughan Perry are standing trial after allegedly carrying out an elaborate "mock-arrest" of the teenager in an attempt to sever his ties with a 15-year-old girl in 2015.

The boy's relatives didn't approve of the relationship and called in their family friend, Dennis, to help.

The teen says he was taken to the Auckland Central Police Station under false pretences, and cornered by Dennis.

He claims he was given two options before he was locked in a cell - he could either stay in New Zealand and be charged with statutory rape, or move to Australia and start a new life.

In his closing arguments Crown lawyer Brian Dickey told the court the teen was given no option to leave, and felt he had to comply.

"What ought to have occurred is that Dennis should have said this was voluntary, that he could leave at any time," he said.

"At the minimum that man need to be told you are not under arrest, there is no requirement to stay, would you like to go?

"That didn't happen. On nobodies account did that happen, because the plan was otherwise."

Earlier in the trial while giving evidence the teen told the court he was never cautioned or given the right to a lawyer.

He said he was left "cold, scared and helpless", and that the presence and intimidation from Dennis was "really great".

The Crown questioned how it was possible for the teen to lie.

"Do you really think he made that up? Do you think it is realistic for that 17-year-old Maori lad to be threatened like this, told he'd be charged with statutory rape and then stand up and lie?" Mr Dickey said.

"Do you think your 17-year-old would have stood up and gone?"

Yesterday Dennis' defence lawyer said the case whittled down to the issue of consent, and whether the teen knew his trip to the cells was just a visit.

He told the court Dennis made it clear he wouldn't be staying there, and that the teen never physically or verbally protested. He said Dennis didn't know the boy wasn't consenting.

But the Crown said that wasn't good enough.

"Dennis said while walking down to the watchhouse that he didn't have to drag him or push him. So that's consent is it?" Mr Dickey asked.

"The crown says that's not consent - that's the opposite to consent."

Mr Dickey told the court what happened was "an abuse of power and authority".

"That is why we are here. We aren't here because two teenagers fell in love with each other, we are here because of what happened at the police station," he argued.

The trial continues.