Kim Dotcom reaches confidential settlement with police

  • 03/11/2017

Kim Dotcom has reached a settlement with the New Zealand police over the dawn raids that saw him arrested for copyright infringement.

Dotcom was arrested in January 2012 when the anti-terrorism Special Tactics Group raided his $30 million Coatesville mansion. 

The lawsuit was due to an alleged use of "unreasonable force" when Dotcom was arrested.  

The raids were conducted by helicopter assault at dawn and used risk assesments which described Dotcom as violent, despite a lack of evidence to confirm the claim. 

Covertly recorded surveillance footage was also used to give police insight into the layout of the mansion. The footage was recorded by a police officer on a goodwill meeting the day before the raid.

Armed police arrested Dotcom in the raid, and left his former wife Mona Dotcom, pregnant with twins at the time, standing out in the cold with the couple's children.

The raid was part of a worldwide FBI operation to shut down the Megaupload file-sharing website, which was allegedly part of a huge criminal copyright infringement operation.

Dotcom is currently awaiting extradition to the United States, along with three accomplices. 

NZME has reported that others arrested in the raids were able to reach settlements in the six figures, and Dotcom's could have been seeking a larger settlement due to his being the main target of the raid.

When contacted by Newshub, Dotcom's lawyers were unable to confirm the settlement amount, only that one had been reached.

Dotcom cited the wellbeing of his children and new Government as the reason for his agreement to the settlement.

"We are fortunate to live here. Under the totality of the circumstances, we thought settlement was best for our children," he said

"The New Zealand Government has recently changed for the better."

Dotcom says he is currently awaiting a separate case against the Government Communications Security Bureau to appear before the court.

He is also appealing his extradition, with the case not expected to be heard until 2018.