Future uncertain for sushi store after fire

An Auckland shop owner whose sushi store has been damaged by toxic smoke hopes to reopen as soon as possible.

Newmarket Plaza was evacuated on Saturday afternoon as smoke and flames spread quickly from one of the food court kitchens.

&Sushi owner Jeff Kim is unsure how long the complex will be closed.

"The toxic smell… it will be at least three or four days. But we have to get our insurance assessor come out and see how bad it is."

Mr Kim says he's glad everyone made it out of the building without injury.

"There was a lot of black smoke. Mostly it was smoke damage, which is quite toxic still."

The fire was on the ground floor of the four-level building, which comprises mostly offices and carparks.

There were no reported injuries.

Newshub.